Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hello World

I never liked blogs. In fact, ever since I looked to the internet as an outlet for my creative energy, I've tried to avoid making one. The word "blog" is just so unbelievably stupid, I can't stand it. However, fully maintaining my own self-designed website was too much of a nuisance last time I attempted it, so I might as well try doing things the easy way, at least once.

So, here it goes.

This is going to be a gaming-related blog. Haters gonna hate, but the unoriginality of the idea doesn't bother me; since I've given up on a life in academia, there's currently nothing in my life which is so esoteric that no blog on the subject currently exists, so whether I blog about video games or funny cats, I won't be breaking any new ground. Besides, I like video games. If no one thinks this is important enough to read, so be it.

In any case, it's not just that I like video games. I honestly think they're worth writing about. They're important. As much as our grandparents wish they would go away, they've left an indelible mark on our culture. Some would even argue that games have graduated from time-waster to art form.

Over the past decade, video games have been moving ever closer into mainstream territory, although the self-proclaimed "hardcore gamers" will tell you that what's actually becoming mainstream today is a mockery of what video games used to be. Some are even predicting a collapse of the video game industry, although I think that's unlikely, even in a recession. (And even if it does happen, my backlog is extensive enough to keep me entertained for as long as it takes for the industry to rebuild itself. New games are too expensive anyway.)

So here's my blog. I'll come back later to write some neat things.